Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Stories from the Bible, 1969

(Continued from 1968)

The latest retellings of these stories, begun in June 1966, continue with new 8 more installments of "Moses", followed by 3 new installments retelling the story of "Joshua".  Strangely, ever since "Joseph In Egypt" began in October 1967, each individual installment has had "part one", "part two" rather than individual chapter titles.  "Moses" goes up to "part sixteen".  Personally, I think this makes each installment stand out LESS than they might.

I originally read most of the ones on this page back in 1969.  My subscription ran from May 1968 to November 1969.  After that, they'll all be new to me as I continue to set up these pages.

I'm reminded that back in the 8th grade, when I was going to Morgan Village Middle School (which I just saw, yesterday, has been torn down, and replaced with an entirely new building next to where it used to stand), my best friend, Sam Capers, a really nice guy with a wild sense of humor, gave me the only nickname I ever liked.  He used to call me "Josh"-- presumably, an abbreviation of my last name, but also derived, I think, from the character of Joshua, who I apparently reminded him of for some reason. In a wild coincidence (?), the last panel on this page shows the walls of Jericho collapsing.  In my 1st GUN! story in 1975, I had the hero destroy an entire building. The method was different, but the visual was surprisingly similar.  (Maybe I did have something "Biblical" going on when I wrote that story. After all, I did have the narrator say, on page 1,
"So help him GOD!")

Story by Al Stenzel  /  Art by CURT SWAN
BOYS' LIFE  /  January 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  February 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  March 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  April 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  May 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  June 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  July 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  August 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  September 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  October 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  November 1969
BOYS' LIFE  /  December 1969
(Continued in 1970)

Copyright (C) BOY'S LIFE Magazine
Restorations by Henry Kujawa

Read the Bob LeRose page at Wikipedia 
Read about the history of Johnstone & Cushing at the Hogan's Alley site 

No comments:

Post a Comment